Friday, August 17, 2012

Trunk and wiring install

OK so now that I have a trunk to put on the bike I should describe how I want it set up when it is all said and done.  I have the Mutazu DMY trunk, and while they aren't exactly know for their high quality I got it for an amazing deal (free!) so I decided to make it stronger.  I bought fiberglass resin and some cloth and lined the inside with a minimum of 3 layers with the corners and high stress points getting up to 5.  This thing does NOT flex at all now.  Unfortunately...no pictures of the process but I will post the final pic before I put the carpet down.

Picture of fiber-glassed inside here

Even though my new fairing has a 12v plug in on it, it is kind of awkward to charge anything other than a GPS there so I decided I want a 12v plug inside the trunk so I can charge anything while I ride.  I also bought a rack for the top of the trunk and with it the seller sent a random led taillight strip I was determined to make work.  Using my very adequate electrical skills I cut off the included connector and figured out which tail light wire to solder it into (the one that only has ~12v with the brakes applied if you were wondering....or the blue one on 2009 or newer Nomads)  Unfortunately you can't see where I soldered it in here but that is the point.  I tied in the 12v plug power to the circuit board and the ground will be single wire until it is in the trunk and I will solder in a tap off for the brake light to minimize wiring going into the trunk.


This is where it is going to come out and I will connect the trunk with a 3 wire trailer plug that is in the mail now.


Soldered up the connector, and you can see the 12v plug here, solder to a 3 pin connector that extends about 3 inches from where it exits the trunk on the bottom.  Found out with the trunk mounted I could not make the brake light work for now but it is still wired up for future upgrades.


This is the fiberglass lining inside the trunk, ~3 layers and painted dark gray primer, covering with outdoor carpet once I am all set up.



OK now for the trunk setup from the outside.  I have the Mutazu luggage rack and upgraded backrest for the wife...a happy wife means a happy husband (rule of life :) ) Same rule applies, no judging garage!



He did a really great job matching paint seeing as we picked a Harley silver (I know, I know parts will start falling off and the trunk will start leaking oil soon, hehe) and a Honda red.

So that's it for the trunk specifically, I will post and update for the final product...well final for now, are we EVER really done with mods?

1 comment: