Monday, August 13, 2012

Custom lowers

*Disclaimer*  There is no judgement on the cleanliness of my garage, I know where everything is right now and when all projects are done I will clean it up then.  :)

One of the main reasons I chose the Nomad was it has ALMOST everything I wanted in a bike or was a very good foundation for what I had planned.  One of the things it had that I wanted was lowers, which is something my C50 sorely needed...well, pretty much any bike with a windshield needs them.  However, they were tiny and relatively useless, but the mounts were nice so I decided to make my own and add some personal 'flair' to them.  I used a sheet of ~1/4" thick (can't remember) lexan I purchased years ago at Home Depot for lowers on the C50 that never worked out.

Here is my new ones cutout compared to the OEM ones.  The notch at the top is for the highway bars if anyone wants to do this themselves.


And this one has the OEM laid out on top for further comparison.


And this is what they look like installed on the bike before I torched the sides to make them glassy.

  

The following idea I got off of Gadget's site, I never really wanted a red bike but it has really grown on me and I really liked the idea of having red glass elements (the fairing windshield will be red too) So using Krylon Red stained glass paint bought at Michaels (just in case you wanted some, only place I have found it so far), seen here:


So using that I decided to paint the back of the lowers (important because the front will retain the glossy look because the back side will NOT look perfect, but you should still be able to see through them a little)  This is what it looks like after 2 coats of the above paint.


And this is what it looks like on the left side (from driver's vantage)


And of course finally what it looks like with the running lights installed, still need to clean up the look but this is as far as this mod will get until I get my fairing installed.  I knwo you are all anxiously awaiting my next amazing blog post, but alas you must wait.

Just for comparison, here is the OEM look

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment